Twelve Young Penn Staters Will Be Honored With Alumni Achievement Award April 8
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. (April 5, 2011) — Twelve young Penn State alumni will be honored for outstanding professional accomplishment and presented with the Penn State Alumni Association's Alumni Achievement Award at a dinner ceremony April 8 at The Nittany Lion Inn on the University Park campus.
This year’s honorees work for nationally recognized companies such as ESPN The Magazine, Goldman Sachs, 20th Century Fox and Tyson Foods. Some started their own companies and one has competed in the Olympics. These bright, young alumni stars are receiving the 2011 Alumni Achievement Award for reaching an extraordinary level of professional accomplishment, by the age of 35 or younger. Academic colleges or campuses nominate alumni who are then selected by a University–wide committee. President Graham Spanier invites them to return to campus for several days to share their expertise with students and the University community. The Alumni Achievement Award began in 2005 and since then has honored 74 outstanding alumni.
This year’s Alumni Achievement Award recipients, along with their year of graduation, current title, place of employment, and residence are:
(Note: Complete bios for each recipient are on the Alumni Association website at www.alumni.psu.edu/awards.)
- Shaun Anderson ’01, co-founder/president, Diversity in Aquatics; Virginia Beach, Va.;
- Allison Baver ’03, short track speedskating national champion, three-time Olympian and bronze medal winner; Taylorsville, Utah;
- Vivian P. Chang ’01g, national accounts division manager for food safety and quality assurance, Tyson Foods, Inc.; Cave Springs, Ark.;
- Patrick J. Flynn ’01, ’03g, environmental engineer, Environmental Resources Management and founder/CEO of Enersol, Inc.; Coatesville, Pa.;
- Jeremy E. Frank ’97, ’01g, ’05g, president and co-founder, KCF Technologies; Grove Milles, Pa.;
- Bernard J. Hershberger ’02, ’07g, president and owner, Stoltz Mfg., Inc.; Lancaster, Pa.;
- Ryan Hockensmith ’01, general editor, ESPN The Magazine; Edison, N.J.;
- Maggie Ann Jeffries ’99, anesthesiologist, Avalon Anesthesia; Amelia Island, Fla.;
- Seth E. Miller ’01, executive director, Innocence Project of Florida; Tallahassee, Fla.;
- Ryan L. Newman ’01, vice president, investment management division, Goldman Sachs; Wayne, Pa.;
- Melissa Hayes Shirey ’97, attorney and founding member, The Family Law Group, LLC; North East, Pa.;
- John B. Stewart Jr. ’01, executive director, international digital cinema operations, 20th Century Fox; Santa Monica, Calif.
Spanier will present each Alumni Achievement Award recipient with a commemorative medal. The medal was commissioned by the Alumni Association and designed by internationally recognized artist Jeanne Stevens-Sollman, a 1972 graduate of Penn State’s master of fine arts program.
For full biographical information about these honorees and past award recipients, go to the Alumni Association’s website at www.alumni.psu.edu/awards/individual.