The Penn Stater Magazine
The first version of what would become The Penn Stater magazine, Penn State’s most visible publication, lasted but four years. The Alumni Quarterly debuted in 1910 but was renamed Penn State Alumni News and started publishing bimonthly by 1914. The four–page Alumni News featured no photos and was mailed to “all graduates and former students of the College who pay the annual membership fee of $2.00.” In return, alumni received updates on campus happenings—bonfires after athletic victories were banned as too dangerous—and listings of weekly alumni luncheons, then held in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. By 1915, black & white photos documenting reunions were regularly included.
By 1961. Penn State Alumni News had grown to a magazine format of 32 pages with numerous photos, though still in black & white. The October 1961 issue included an aerial shot of Chambers Building under construction and the new East Halls dormitories located near the flower gardens, now site of the law school’s Katz Building. The magazine, then as now, was filled with features on Penn State students and alumni and campus news.
John Black ’62 was the editor who renamed the magazine The Penn Stater in 1972, and in the decades since it has grown to a colorful 80- to 96–page magazine with award–winning feature writing, photography, and design. Since 1996, current editor Tina Hay ’83 has guided the magazine to hundreds of awards including being named the 2007 Robert Sibley Magazine of the Year.
The Penn Stater welcomes news of weddings, births, and other significant milestones for use in the "Class Notes" section. To submit a Class Note item, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Letters to the Editor can also be submitted by e-mailing email@example.com.
The Penn Stater magazine is a benefit of membership in the Penn State Alumni Association. Join or renew your membership here.