Stand Up for Penn State: 4 Ideas for Action
In its communication, A Message to Our Penn State Family, the leadership of the Penn State Alumni Association suggested ways alumni and other Penn Staters can help support the entire Penn State community and show the world what Penn State is all about. We will add to and update these “4 Ideas for Action” routinely.
4 Ideas for Action
1. Volunteer, Join, and Support
- Volunteer at or support an event sponsored by a child abuse prevention center or similar organization in your community.
- Support Penn State student-run organizations raising money, awareness, and support for victims of childhood sexual abuse.
- Engage with your local Penn State Alumni Association chapter, society, or group to help plan or attend a specific event or action that advances Penn State’s commitment to preventing child abuse and other causes.
- Become an Alumni Admissions Volunteer to help recruit Penn State students from states outside Pennsylvania. Serve as a LionLink career coach or a FastStart mentor to help current students.
- If you’re not already a member, join the Penn State Alumni Association, an Alumni Interest Group, and/or your local chapter and swell our strength in numbers.
- Join the Nittany Lion Club, and support all of Penn State’s 31 intercollegiate sports programs.
- Know the facts: Penn state is highly ranked in many categories worldwide. Check out and share our PDF, Penn State's Culture of Academic Excellence.
- Proclaim your pride for Penn State on social media. Go viral with your love and loyalty on Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter.
- Contact a student or faculty/staff member to express your support.
- Reach out to Penn State students in your local area and encourage them to hold their heads high and stay proud all year long.
- If you’re a scholarship donor, write to your students expressing support.
- Write an op-ed piece or letter to the editor for your local media describing the Penn State that you know and love.
- Ask your employer to hire a Penn State student or offer an internship.
3. Donate to Worthy Causes
- Make a gift to the Penn State Hershey Center for the Protection of Children or the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape.
- Provide financial support to a child abuse prevention center or similar organization in your community.
- Be part of a great Penn State tradition and donate to THON 2013.
- Support scholarships for needy students and donate to For the Future: The Campaign for Penn State Students.
4. Show Up in Person
- Attend cultural events, student performances, or faculty lectures. Support the academic, intellectual, and cultural programs of the University.
- Turn out for as many home and away Penn State football games as possible and support these extraordinary Nittany Lions. Send Coach O'Brien and the players a message of support now at WeAreOneTeam@athletics.psu.edu.
- Attend other sporting events. All of our student-athletes need your support.
- Stop by the Hintz Family Alumni Center to network, visit, and tell us your story.
- Support the State College economy, which will need your patronage.
- Cheer on THON participants (THON is held annually in February).
- Visit Penn State campuses beyond University Park to show your support.